WE’RE SEEKING AN ASSOCIATE TO JOIN OUR PRIVATE EQUITY SOLUTIONS GROUP
WHO ARE WE?
Strategex, a boutique Chicago-based consulting firm with a twenty-five-year track record, is seeking an Associate to join our Private Equity Solutions Group. The Group partners with over 50 PE firms to deliver two critical M&A services: customer due diligence (pre-close) and value creation strategy (post-close).
In B2B deals, customer concentration is a leading cause of failure. Our customer due diligence service utilizes the Voice of the Customer (VOC) methodology to help acquirers measure and mitigate this risk. We assess the stability of the customer base, identify at-risk customers, and develop strategies to retain them post-close.
But the end of the diligence work is just the beginning. Post-close, we partner with portfolio company management teams to develop and implement value creation strategies. To do this, we rely on our 80/20 strategic toolkit which has generated $1.25B in incremental operating income for our clients.
Combined, these services empower our PE clients to make smarter investment decisions, drastically improve EBITDA, exit faster, secure higher sell-side multiples, and maximize their ROIC.
WHO ARE YOU?
- You have one to three years of work experience at a professional services organization. Recent BBA graduates may also be considered.
- You have an interest in primary research, data analysis, and customer insights, but the idea of a traditional market research career doesn’t excite you.
- You consider yourself a junior consultant who can see the bigger picture and are comfortable translating insights into strategic recommendations.
- Eventually, you want to be in a client-facing role where you will present results and actively work with management teams to implement your recommendations.
- You’re able to travel up to 10% of the time (mostly day trips).
- You’re seeking the thrill of working for a startup, but you want the stability that comes with a well-established firm.
- You want a competitive compensation package, but you’re in this for more than a paycheck.
- You want to learn from some of the best M&A consultants in the country, and you want a well-defined and actively monitored professional development plan.
- Eventually, you can see yourself selling consulting engagements and managing a team of your own.
- You can work in our Chicago office Monday through Friday during regular business hours.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
You will be the go-to internal person for our customer due diligence engagements. Under the guidance of a Senior Associate, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Project Management: About 25% of your time. Ensure projects are completed on time and on budget. Assist in the preparation of statements of work, develop project timelines, draft discussion guides, manage customer contact lists, provide clients with status updates, facilitate client status calls, etc.
- Primary Research: About 25% of your time. While most of our research is conducted by a team of in-house executive interviewers, the Associate will complete a handful of interviews for any given project. Schedule and conduct in-depth phone interviews, summarize the conversations in a transcript format, and monitor the quality of interviews being conducted by other team members.
- Reporting and Analysis: About 50% of your time. Transform research findings into concise, compelling, and actionable case studies. Create quantitative data visualizations, synthesize qualitative feedback and identify common themes, write headlines, summarize key findings in an Executive Summary, and identify potential recommendations.
When not doing project-related work, you’ll assist with business development initiatives such as drafting thought leadership articles, co-presenting webinars, attending conferences, etc. You’ll also learn the 80/20 toolkit so that over time you can begin working on our value creation strategy engagements as well.
WHO WILL SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE? SOMEONE WHO HAS…
- a BBA or related undergraduate degree
- One to three years of work experience at a professional services organization
- Excellent organization and time management skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects in various stages
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and confidence in client-facing situations
- Analytical and deductive abilities, yet is still creative and flexible
- Eagerness to contribute to the culture and success of the Company
- Expertise in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Familiarity with Qualtrics or other data management tools
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
In exchange, we offer a competitive base salary, along with a discretionary year-end bonus and benefits package. Beyond compensation, we’ll also invest in your professional development. You’ll have a well-defined and actively monitored career path. We also have a unique culture that is warm, family-oriented, and based upon our core Fundamentals of “Do the Right Thing, Always,” “Deliver Results,” and “Add Value.” Our culture is what differentiates us and drives our success.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.