WE’RE SEEKING A SENIOR ASSOCIATE TO JOIN OUR PRIVATE EQUITY SOLUTIONS GROUP
WHO ARE WE?
Strategex, a boutique Chicago-based consulting firm with a twenty-five-year track record, is seeking a Senior Associate to join our Private Equity Solutions Group. The Group partners with over 50 PE firms to deliver two critical M&A services: customer due diligence (pre-close) and value creation strategy (post-close).
In B2B deals, customer concentration is a leading cause of failure. Our customer due diligence service utilizes the Voice of the Customer (VOC) methodology to help acquirers measure and mitigate this risk. We assess the stability of the customer base, identify at-risk customers, and develop strategies to retain them post-close.
But the end of the diligence work is just the beginning. Post-close, we partner with portfolio company management teams to develop and implement value creation strategies. To do this, we rely on our 80/20 strategic toolkit which has generated $1.25B in incremental operating income for our clients.
Combined, these services empower our PE clients to make smarter investment decisions, drastically improve EBITDA, exit faster, secure higher sell-side multiples, and maximize their ROIC.
WHO ARE YOU?
- You have 5+ years of progressive work experience at a professional services organization (consulting background preferred).
- You have a BBA, and you either have an MBA or can see yourself getting one in the future. Either way, you know what all the above acronyms mean without having to Google them.
- You interviewed at other mid-sized or large consulting firms but you didn’t want to wear a suit to work every day.
- The best part of your day is when you translate complex data into a simple insight which results in your client making a course correction and saving (or making) millions of dollars.
- You’ve mastered the art of telling clients they are wrong without offending them.
- You’re able to travel up to 20% of the time (mostly day trips).
- You’re seeking the thrill of working for a startup, but you want the stability that comes with a well-established firm.
- You know what you don’t know, and you’re committed to learning and growing. You’re in this for more than a paycheck.
- You want to learn from some of the best M&A consultants in the country so one day you can become a VP/Engagement Manager and manage a book of business and Senior Associate of your own.
- You can work in our Chicago office Monday through Friday during regular business hours.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
You will be the point person for our customer due diligence engagements. Under the guidance of a VP/Engagement Manager and with the support of an Associate and Analyst (whom you will manage and mentor), you’ll prepare client-ready deliverables. When not doing project work, you’ll start building your own client base by writing thought leadership articles, co-presenting webinars, attending conferences, etc. You’ll also learn our 80/20 toolkit so that over time you can begin working on our value creation strategy engagements as well.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, YOU WILL BE…
- Translating risk factors and value creation opportunities into objectives that can be addressed with a Strategex solution
- Recommending the correct solution (CDD, VOC, Consulting, etc.) and methodology (phone, web, mixed approach, etc.) to best address project objectives
- Preparing client-ready discussion guides which cover objectives and interfacing with the client and the seller to finalize the document
- Preparing concise and compelling statements of work, including objectives, methodology, number of interviews, timelines, and cost estimates
- Coordinating internal project management (staffing and training researchers, monitoring data collection and quality control, preparing status updates) and external project management (facilitating a project planning meeting and client check-in calls, monitoring timelines and budgets)
- Programming phone and online surveys in Qualtrics
- Scheduling, conducting, and summarizing phone interviews into a transcript
- Synthesizing qualitative data and extracting themes and insights, while also coding unstructured data into quantifiable data points
- Preparing an analytic plan and storyboard to ensure findings are aligned with objectives, and that insights and recommendations are relevant and actionable
- Providing post-project support to ensure portfolio companies are maximizing the value of the engagement
WHO WILL SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE? SOMEONE WHO HAS…
- 5+ years of progressive work experience at a professional services organization (consulting background preferred)
- a Bachelor’s degree (required); An MBA (preferred)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- the ability to travel up to 20% (mostly day trips)
- Proficiency in Excel, Qualtrics, PowerPoint, and other data management and reporting software
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
In exchange, we offer a competitive base salary, along with a discretionary year-end bonus and benefits package. Beyond compensation, we’ll also invest in your professional development. You’ll have a well-defined and actively monitored career path to VP/Engagement Manager, at which point you will become eligible for commission and significantly increase your earning potential. We also have a unique culture that is warm, family-oriented, and based upon our core Fundamentals of “Do the Right Thing, Always”, “Deliver Results”, and “Add Value”. Our culture is what differentiates us and drives our success.
Please send a CV, cover letter, and sanitized work product that you can credibly claim as your own to firstname.lastname@example.org.